Yet more proof that just cause you know how to illegally download movies on the Interwebs, it doesn’t necessarily mean your taste in movies is any better. Also, just cause kids are downloading movies, that doesn’t necessarily impact the film’s box office. “Fast Five”, which is 2011’s most heavily pirated film, still went on to make a whopping $626 million worldwide, with a sixth and seventh part due on the horizon. The same can be said for “The Hangover Part II” and “Thor”, the number two and three films on the list.
Here are the top 10 films that were the most heavily pirated and their final box office earnings, as compiled by the freaks at TorrentFreaks. According to the site, the data below were collected from “thousands of BitTorrent trackers. All release formats, including cammed versions are counted. Afterwards, the data is carefully checked and corrected if needed.”
- Fast Five | 9,260,000 | $626,137,675
- The Hangover II | 8,840,000 | $581,464,305
- Thor | 8,330,000 | $449,326,618
- Source Code | 7,910,000 | $123,278,618
- I Am Number Four | 7,670,000 | $144,500,437
- Sucker Punch | 7,200,000 | $89,792,502
- 127 Hours | 6,910,000 | $60,738,797
- Rango | 6,480,000 | $245,155,348
- The King’s Speech | 6,250,000 | $414,211,549
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 | 6,030,000 | $1,328,111,219
Curiously, last year’s #1, “Avatar” was downloaded 16 million times, compared to this year’s “Fast Five”, which didn’t even crack the 10 million mark. As you’ll also recall, having been downloaded 16 million times didn’t exactly hurt “Avatar’s” box office. Though I suspect it might have affected “Source Code’s” and “Sucker Punch’s”. I’m surprised to see “127 Hours” and “The King’s Speech” on that list, though. I always thought only old people saw “The King’s Speech”, and as we all know, old people and the Internet go together like snail mail and e-mail.
Conspicuously missing from that list? 2011 massive hits “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides” and “Transformers: Dark of the Moon”. Go figure.
Via : LATimes