To say that I haven’t been all that impressed with what I’ve seen so far from Stephen Sommers’ live-action “G.I. Joe” would be an understatement. In fact, the only thing that has gotten me even slightly “excited” was Sienna Miller walking around in a skin-tight black leather outfit holding a machinegun in each hand. Everything else? Not so much. Well guess what, kiddos, this latest breakdown of some plot points may or may not change your mind about the movie. Actually, if you’re a diehard fan, you may be a tad peeved. Judge for yourself.
Here are highlights from what Toy News International says we can expect from the movie, straight from the horse’s mouth at Comic Con:
– The movie has a bad guy plot carrying you through the movie but not a single character plot that drives it, because there are so many things going on with the movies and they were able to tap into Larry [Hama] for input on this.
– To some extent, they also look at it from the point of what can be not what was. [Writer] Stuart [Beattie] like simple plots and not making the plotting so complex. The movie has lots of twists and turns. Where he really wanted to spend the time was with the characters.
– You get to meet Cobra Commander for the first time, and Duke and Ripcord will be our eyes and ears throughout the movie. They are not members of G.I.Joe at first.
– Dennis Quaid was so good with his role of Hawk they added like 10 additional scenes for him in this movie.
– Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow will get to flex their muscles in this movie.
– Scarlett is really smart but doesn’t really understand men or her sex appeal. They look at her as the girl who graduated college at age 12.
– Baroness will have a relationship with Duke. They were almost married, and she has a lot of anger towards Duke.
– Ripcord and Scarlett have some fun flirty relationships. There are two romances with completely different dynamics.
– Storm Shadow and Snake-Eyes first met when they were 10 years old.
– There are 4 huge action sequences in the movie.
– The Pitt is huge, and they had a bigger budget on this movie than they did for the first Transformers movie.
– They have a accelerator suit that allows a man to run 50 MPH. This leads to a big car chase scene.
– They went with Heavy Duty over Roadblock because Stuart just found HD more appealing. He might work Roadblock into the next movie if there is one.
– There is some relationship with Scarlett and Snake, but it was very hard to do with a character that doesn’t talk. There is a triangle that develops between Scarlett, Snake-Eyes and Ripcord.
– The four action scenes will end up lasting over 10 minutes each. Maybe even 15-20 mins.
The Scarlett-Snake Eyes thing is interesting, but then so is the Duke-Baroness points. I haven’t read any of the comics, so I don’t know if they ever made Duke and the Baroness engaged, but I’m sure the Scarlett-Snake Eyes thing might piss off some fans of the show. And really, to introduce Ripcord as the third part of a love interest? You have got to be kidding me.
But hey, I’m not a diehard Joe fan, so what do I know.