Bad news for all you “Harry Potter” fans out there: “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” has been moved from its original late November 2008 opening date to Summer 2009. Or July 17, 2009, to be precise. Yup, that’s right, it’s time to go back to your DVD collections or bookamagigs and start reading, cause you ain’t gettin’ another Potter (his sixth, according to those who can do math) until 2009, you poor, poor literate buggers. But have no fear; Warner Bros. is saying that the delay is not because of any problems with production; far from it, in fact. The real reason? Well, they just think a Summer tentpole release is the way to go. I.e. more money.
The AP has your Harry Potter news:
The move was made to take advantage of an open weekend in Hollywood’s busy summer season, said Alan Horn, Warner Bros. president and chief operating officer. The film had been on schedule, and the change was not due to any production snags, he said.
“The picture is completely, absolutely, 100 percent on schedule, on time. There were no delays,” Horn told The Associated Press. “I’ve seen the movie. It is fabulous. We would have been perfectly able to have it out in November.”
The switch will mean a two-year lag between the film adaptations of books five and six in J.K. Rowling’s fantasy series. But it will shorten fans’ wait between “Half-Blood Prince” and the final two installments, which are being shot simultaneously next year.
According to the trailers I’ve seen, “Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince” is about some kid with powers to talk to snakes, and that old dude from the “X-Men” and “Lord of the Rings” films. Plus, two thirty year old guys play teenagers, or something.
Anyways, mark your calendars, Potter fans. It’s 2009 or bust for your “Half-Blood Prince”.