Well this is kind of a surprise. Joe Carnahan’s follow-up to his ensemble hitman movie “Smokin’ Aces”, since retitled, “Smokin’ Aces 2: Assassins’ Ball” is heading straight to DVD. Universal Studios Home Entertainment is releasing the film under their Universal’s DVD Originals banner. The sequel, which Carnahan contributed parts of the story, but didn’t direct or script, will blast its way onto Blu-ray, standard DVD and be available for digital downloading January 19, 2010. Specs and cover art for the DVD release below.
Federal agents once again match wits with a cadre of creative killers in the high-octane feature-length film Smokin’ Aces 2: Assassins’ Ball. Walter Weed (Tom Berenger) is an unassuming desk jockey at the FBI when the Bureau uncovers a plot to assassinate him. A team of degenerate, psychotic assassins dispatched by mystery man Hal Leuco to win a huge bounty includes a resourceful beauty who has a unique method of killing her prey (Martha Higareda), a power-tool wielding psychopath (Vinnie Jones) and a deadly master of disguise (Tommy Flanagan). Also in the hunt is the fan-favorite Tremor family from the original film, featuring nymphomaniacal gun-nut (Autumn Reeser) and her lethal kinfolk (Maury Sterling, Michael Parks and C. Ernst Harth). Baker (Clayne Crawford), the agent in charge of the operation, puts himself and his team in the line of fire to defend Weed, but it’s not until the smoke clears on the film’s explosive climax that the surprising identity of the plot’s mastermind is revealed.
BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAYTM HI-DEF:
· BD-LIVETM – Fans can access exclusive online and interactive features through their Internet-connected Blu-rayTM player, including:
· MY SCENES SHARING – Show your BD-LiveTM friends your favorite scenes from the film.
BONUS FEATURES AVAILABLE ON BLU-RAYTM HI-DEF AND DVD:
· Deleted Scenes
· Gag Reel
· Behind the Scenes with Joe Carnahan: Executive producer Joe Carnahan, producer Mike Elliott, writers Olatunde Osunsanmi and Olumide Odebunmi and director P.J. Pesce talk about the process of jumping back into the world of Smokin’ Aces.
· CONFESSIONS OF AN ASSASSIN: director P.J. Pesce and the stars of the movie take us through production, from the ground, amidst the mayhem, blood, guts, bullets and all.
· Ready, Aim, Fire: the weapons of smokin’ aces 2: Meet the armorer who equipped the gang with the over 20 guns in the film.
· CUE THE CLOWN: A behind the scenes look at what it took to produce one of the most explosive stunts in the movie.
· The Bunker Mentality: designing the set: Production designer Chris August, along with director P.J. Pesce and executive producer Joe Carnahan discuss the Art Deco look and feel of the sets as well as the little details that gave them the freedom them to shoot quickly and in every direction.
· Feature Commentary with executive producer Joe Carnahan and director P.J. Pesce