Those crazy kids Peeta and Katniss (and yeah, Gale, too) won’t be launching their full-scale revolt against The Capitol until 2013 in “Catching Fire”, but to hold you over, Lionsgate will be releasing Gary Ross’ “The Hunger Games” onto DVD and Blu-ray later this year.
Special Features on the DVD and Blu-ray discs will include:
- “The World is Watching: Making of The Hunger Games” – an eight-part documentary covering the “making of” the film in all aspects from the pre-production process all the way through the theatrical release and fan reactions
- “Game Maker: Suzanne Collins and The Hunger Games Phenomenom” featurette
- “Letters from the Rose Garden” featurette – insights from Donald Sutherland on the development of his role as President Snow
- “Controlling the Games” featurette – stories and concepts behind creating the control center
- “A Conversation with Gary Ross and Elvis Mitchell”
- Propaganda Film (in its entirety)
- Marketing Archive
- “Preparing for The Games: A Director’s Process” (Blu-ray Exclusive)
“The Hunger Games” is often compared to that other young adult book franchise. You know, the one with the vampires and werewolves and such? In terms of box office, “The Hunger Games” nearly doubled that film in earnings, and I suspect its sequel, “Catching Fire”, will do even better business now that the ground has been laid out for non-readers of the Suzanne Collins book.
“The Hunger Games” will be available Blu-ray, DVD, On Demand, and Digital Download on August 18, 2012.